Monday, March 13, 2006

Over the Rhine Down Under


Anyone who knows me, knows I've been obsessed with Over the Rhine since the early 90s...the sultry wailings of Karin, the incredible musicianship of Linford, their originality and independence, the thought-provoking lyrics, the amazing photography in their liner notes, their cool dogs,... I can categorize the various stages in my adult life by their 11 albums. I've seen them live more times than I can remember.

Well, you can imagine my excitement when I heard they were making their way to Wellington as part of the New Zealand Arts Festival. Wet-my-pants excited is an understatement! Not only did they play four sold-out shows in Wellington in the main Festival tent (in this case, tent translates to hard wood floors, red velvet booths around the perimeter, wood posts inlaid with paua, gourmet coffee, and of course wine and food), they also did a free Saturday afternoon outdoor show about an hour outside Wellington. They got incredible press--everyone I bumped into in the week prior seemed to have heard of them. My secret's out of the bag, in Wellington at least.

Jeremy and I booked for the Friday night concert and, once again, it exceeded my expectations. It had been just over a year since I had seen them last and it was well-worth the wait. A very windy night, a bit of jazz, a touch of blues, a hint of country, and a beat-style poem to boot. The average age in the audience was much higher than at any other US show I've been to, but everyone got into it and they gave OtR two standing ovations. After the show, we waited around in the bar/cafe area of the tent because I couldn't leave without saying hello from Cincinnati. I was nervous and felt like a dork, but I knew I would regret it if I didn't. I managed to catch Karin as she signed some autographs. She was very friendly and seemed excited to meet a "Hometown Girl" (They have a song called "Hometown Boy" which I mentioned I had hoped they would have played.) I told her that whenever I go back at Christmas I time my trip around their Taft show and she seemed pretty happy to hear that. So I was content.

Fast forward to Saturday afternoon and the outdoor show. It was a gorgeous late summer/early fall day. We packed a picnic and the dogs and headed to the land where there be dragons, also known as Upper Hutt. As we entered the concert area, Linford made a beeline toward us. Well, toward the dogs! He was petting the dogs and asking about them when I told him I was from Cincy. He couldn't believe it. I gave him my schpiel and he was so genuinely excited. He shook our hands and went to get Karin so she could meet the dogs too. We all chatted for a bit and then they had to get going as they were on next. Jeremy and I settled in for a relaxing afternoon. Next thing I know, the sound guy came over to introduce himself. An Indian Hill guy. After OtR took the stage and played a few songs, they made mention of little old me. It went something like this...

"We're happy to have a Hometown Girl in the audience. Christina has been a fan since the early days and whenever she makes it back to Cincinnati she tries to come see us."

Then Linford added, laughing, as he gestured over to me, "And she brought her dogs today and it's their first concert."

Then they proceeded to play "Hometown Boy"--remember, I had mentioned the night before that I wished they would have played it. Man she really lets loose on that one. Gives me chills.

Very cool. I know I am a geek, but what can I say. When it comes to Over the Rhine, I'm a touch star struck.

But my story doesn't end there. Ollie, my great Kiwi friend joined us for the OtR part of the afternoon. She asked them (without my permission, mind you) if she could get a photo of me with them. They said yes, and despite my embarassment, I am very thankful to my scrapbooking buddy who knew just how good such a photo would look on my OtR layout!

Giddy in the middle...


While waiting for Karin to get the photo, Linford was asking me more questions about how I met Jeremy, about grad school, and how we came to be here. I had to mention that we got married at Old Saint Mary's in Over the Rhine, which he appreciated!

So here are some more shots from the day. By the way, most of the pictures were taken during an incredible rendition of Poughkeepsie.


Berkley lulled to sleep by Karin's angelic voice...


Kai transfixed by Linford's talent...


Just a funny one. Jeremy is holding a treat in the foreground. Check out that tongue on Kai...


A happy day.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tina... I know how much you love OTR and I could feel the excitement as you described your weekend. The pictures are great...especially the dogs...sooo cute. rosey

Thu Mar 16, 03:57:00 am NZDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tina - i CANNOT believe that story about your meeting of the famous Over the Rhine crew! i just kept reading your story and was on the edge of my seat as it just kept getting better and better! you have such luck when it comes to meeting/getting to talk with the Over the Rhine crew! i wish i could have been there! thanks for sharing that story! love you! Katie

Thu Mar 16, 05:37:00 am NZDT  
Blogger Christina said...

Yay my first comments! Thanks guys for taking the time to leave notes behind. KT, it was definitely the dogs that gave me access to the inner circle! I'll be able to show you how to set up your own when you're here in just over a month!!

Thu Mar 16, 09:34:00 am NZDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tina, that was so so cool! i wish i could have been there too! you are for sure one of the most dedicated fans ever! i cannot wait to come, it seems to be coming so soon! love you tons!
amy

Fri Mar 17, 05:03:00 am NZDT  
Blogger Christina said...

Yes, Amy, I guess I fall into the "very dedicated" fan category! Kinda silly. :-) Your visit is approaching so fast--I'm totally psyched!

Fri Mar 17, 04:42:00 pm NZDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home