Wednesday, August 26, 2009

learning the ropes

first day of Playcentre 5

So today was our first day at Playcentre, a parent cooperative preschool. The sessions run for two-and-a-half hours and for now we will go to one session each week. Normally kids who do Playcentre start a bit younger and would be doing two sessions a week by now, with me doing duty on one day and free to drop him off on the other. We're not ready for that though. He still takes a long nap after lunch, so I (usually) treasure our lazy unscheduled mornings together. Sometimes we go to an activity or have a playdate, but more often than not, we are just doing the ordinary at home. I love that and I don't want to commit to more than one morning. Plus, he definitely doesn't need more than that right now.

I have mentioned it a few times over the last two weeks, but didn't tell him we were going today until halfway through breakfast. He got so excited, barely taking a breath as he chatted away and frantically chose some cars to put in his backpack. He kept mentioning the ropes. I dismissed it, thinking he was getting confused with gymnastics (which we have yet to return to, by the way, because one or both of us have been sick for weeks and weeks). But he kept saying things like, "See the ropes," "Play with the ropes," and "Tinty play with the ropes at Playcentre." Finally I asked what he meant. He responded, "Amelia show you the ropes at Playcentre." I couldn't stop laughing. On Sunday we ran into Amelia and her family and when parting ways, I turned to Quincy and said just that. How's that for a literal interpretation?!

I warned him that I needed to take his picture in front of the front door and even armed myself with a few mini marshmallows, but he wanted nothing to do with the camera. Nothing. He said many times, in the angriest voice he could muster, "NO Mama take a picture." I still managed to sneak a few though.

first day of Playcentre 1 first day of Playcentre 2

He assumed we would ride a yellow bus, but was satisfied with bringing his bus along.

first day of Playcentre 4 first day of Playcentre 9

He was so proud to carry his backpack and walk through the park and up that big hill.

first day of Playcentre 7 first day of Playcentre 8

He stared through those gates for ages while I snapped away, telling him that I was taking pictures of the sign, not of him. That was truthful on one occasion at least!

Everyone was very welcoming. There were about 20 kids, 4 and under, and 8 parents. My favorite part was watching him sitting at the long table with the other kids as they ate their morning tea in silence while one of the mums read a story. His favorite part was most definitely playing in the big sandpit on the big wooden digger.

There are some things I don't like about it, but for now this is going to work for us. He is more than ready to go back, that's for sure!

post-Playcentre tired

He was pretty wiped afterwards, but didn't nap. He talked to himself in bed for long enough though. His thoughts must have been swimming with excitement.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

learning the ropes :) I like it.

Fri Aug 28, 10:13:00 am NZST  

Post a Comment

<< Home