Friday, March 31, 2006

warning

this is yet another dog post, so read at your own discretion.

Well, THE SUN IS OUT!!! It's a fabulous, calm, warm day in Wellington and there is an aura of happiness around town. We deserve every bit of this sunshine. We've earned it. Even though it's a Friday afternoon, a lot of people are out enjoying the weather. A few are even braving the sea. I suspect a fair number of 9-to-5ers called in sick today.

On to the dog post I promised...

I had yet another vet appointment this morning. This time it was Berkley's annual exam (only 3 months late). I'll spare you the details. But it's safe to say it was the grossest vet visit ever.


We needed a good dose of Vitamin D and a chance to stretch our legs, so we did the nearby river walk afterwards.

You may be wondering, what was so special about this river walk? Well the dogs have never been so good when we've been out and about.

It's not like they're bad normally. I really can't complain. They stay nearby. They're friendly. They are great with people. It's just that they bound up to every single other dog filled with hope and a desire to play. Some dogs aren't really into socializing. And others get a bit intimidated by a pair of energetic hounds running at them at full speed. Can't blame 'em. Usually the dogs pick up pretty quickly on who is keen to play and who isn't and it's all good. Occasionally Kai barks a bit in a last ditch effort to initiate a game of chase. Other times Kai barks out of fear, I think. Anyway, they're just being dogs and not the perfectly behaved angels I secretly want them to be.

Back to today... For the first time ever, I managed to keep their attention on me everytime we passed another dog!! And we passed a lot of other dogs (remember it is the first nice day in a LONG time). That is like the epitome of obedience, especially for such social dogs. Just think about it. How can an owner compete with a new dog with new smells and a potential game of chase? Of course, it was total bribery, but normally that doesn't even work. The only dogs they greeted were a pair of Shetland Sheepdogs. But even then it was just a bit of a sniff, no noise, and then carry on.

Long story short: I was very proud of the little rugrats this morning.

I am 110% certain this was a fluke, and tomorrow things will return to normal and they will just be average again. But I'll always have 31 March 2006, the day Berkley & Kai were perfect angels out in the real world.

On to the grocery...

I bought some beer and rather than card me (the drinking age is 18 here, by the way), the cashier just asked me how old I am. She was really surprised, blah blah blah. Then something that's never happened... She asked me how old I thought she was. What? I would have loved to see my face. Now I know how Jeremy feels when I ask him a loaded question. Although he knows there is definitely a right answer, he's just at a total loss for what that right answer is. I was speechless for a minute and then said, "Ooooh that's a dangerous question. Well, you look about my age." She was really happy. So I guess I passed that test. Shwew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home