Wednesday, March 22, 2006

the countdown is on

Just 55 days until my sister's family comes for a much-anticipated visit! Six years in the making, in fact! The hardest part about living so far away is not having the people most important to me be able to relate to my life in the day-to-day realm. Not being able to share the simple things. That's why my parent's visit two years ago was so incredibly important to me. I relished in every moment and will never forget it. The same is true of Maria's and Eric's visit a year-and-a-half ago. There's a new level of understanding and it means a whole lot.

So, of course, I'm looking forward to all the fun, late night conversations, travelling, laughter, craft days, hikes, decorating advice, etc. But I really can't wait for that new level of understanding I will have with all of them.

Now not only is the whole family of 5 coming all this way, but my oldest niece is staying on for a few months. It'll be such a treat to have the company.

I just submitted this layout for a journaling call, and it fits perfectly with what I'm talking about.

CB_Stefanie&I

Journaling reads:
Stefanie. My first niece. The first in a line of many. An 11-year age gap. I vividly recall showing her off to my 7th-grade friends. Filled with pride. And walking to her house everyday after school. The special days, trips to Sawyer Point, babysitting, slumber parties, and games of Monopoly, Jr. I talked about her incessantly. I was an aunt at 11.

Fast forward 22 years and I sit anticipating her visit to NZ. This girl whom I've watched turn into an amazing 22-year-old woman has become my friend and is staying with us for a couple months over winter.

I couldn't be more excited.

The combination of working from home and being so incredibly far from family causes a bit of loneliness from time-to-time. It's to be expected. I am really looking forward to having Stef around to do all those girly day-to-day things I so often long to do with my mom, sisters, and nieces. It'll mean so much to share my world with her. Knowing that such an important person from back home will have this unique perspective on my life and understand exactly what I'm talking about will mean more than I can imagine. That knowledge might even ease the occasional loneliness I'm sure to feel again once she's gone.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am so very very touched, tina.

Fri Mar 24, 01:07:00 pm NZST  
Blogger Christina said...

glad you liked. :-)

Fri Mar 24, 04:08:00 pm NZST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!! what a great post...our family is coming to see you and I am counting down the days as well!! As soon as we complete this last month of work at school we are packing up and heading your way!!! It is a dream come true and I cant believe how soon our visit is approaching us!! I know you will be an incredible tour guide to the amazing place they call New Zealand...I just CANT wait to see it all!!! Love you Miss you Mean it!!! It's just around the corner!! --Katie

Wed Mar 29, 12:31:00 pm NZST  
Blogger Christina said...

cool kt, you commented right when i was posting. such a simple thing but that always makes me grin! can't can't wait 'til mid-may--only downside is the visit's gonna go too fast. hope all the hard school work you have to do in the meantime goes swimmingly! love, t

Wed Mar 29, 12:47:00 pm NZST  

Post a Comment

<< Home