Wednesday, April 05, 2006

mahina bay under seige

Mahina Bay Hairy Leg Brigade, rise up! It's unlikely that this peace-loving, veggie-growing group will stand a chance in this battle. But it's not about winning. It's about trying.
(Especially in this neck of the woods with this lot of hippie pensioners.)

No, not ants this time. Today Mahina Bay is the victim of a very rich logger, non-stop helicopter noise, and tree pilfering. Ginormous pines to be exact.

The attack began at 0800 hours and apart from a 15-minute meat pie lunch break at midday, there has been no reprieve. It's now 1500 hours. And it continues.
2006_04_05_Helicopter1
2006_04_05_Helicopter2 2006_04_05_Helicopter5

This massive helicopter makes a roundtrip about every 5 minutes. That's a lot of noise. And distraction. And trees. I have a perfect view from my computer desk and I just can't resist checking what size tree they manage to uproot on each fly over.

Oh the hoops people will jump through to make a buck!

My solution...I've got Over the Rhine's Ohio disc 2 cranked.
I will not be defeated.
ETA: It's now 1600 hours and the war is over. Either that or it's afternoon teatime.
ETA: Ten minutes have passed and my hopes have been dashed. It was definitely just a break for tea and biscuits. This is going to make for an interesting walk to meet Jeremy at the ferry. Maybe earplugs are in order. Why don't I have an ipod?
ETA: I should probably get out of my pyjamas.
ETA: Now this is interesting...So I was walking, lost in my thoughts, watching the helicopter do its thing, trying not to step out in the road as I kept my eyes on the sky. Then it hit me. Probably not a good idea to be standing directly beneath a helicopter dangling a billion ton tree by a thread. I looked around and what did I see? Lots of (big) pine branches strewn about the beach and road. That's not a good sign. Then I noticed there were no cars driving by. They were stopping car traffic but not foot traffic in the copter zone. And I was right smack in the middle of said zone. Needless to say, me and the dogs picked up the pace a bit. When I reached the traffic director I said to him, "I guess it's walk at your own risk through here today, eh?" His response..."Pretty much."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

huh?...that's crazy tina...you could like sue or something ha.

Sat Apr 29, 07:23:00 am NZST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!!!!Thats all i can say!
WOW!!!!!
Isabel R.

Mon Jul 10, 11:49:00 am NZST  

Post a Comment

<< Home