Thursday, August 24, 2006

boy was i wrong

kereru 3

I was under the impression that we had a pair of wood pigeons that for about 8 months of the year lived in our yard.

Not so.

I moved my office yesterday and I have a different view of the yard from my new space. I glanced out just a bit ago to find

.
.
.
SIX
.
.
.

The kereru may be one of New Zealand's protected native birds, but you'd never know it if you looked out my window.

They are frolicking about and chillin' just on the other side of the glass.

They are massive. They are colourful. They aren't your average, everyday pigeon. They hang in groups. They make me want to grab my camera everytime they get in a new configuration. The wind makes their metallic-looking feathers do all sorts of funny things. They make me smile. They are distracting me.


kereru 1

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

How cool - they are such beautiful birds!

Thu Aug 24, 05:34:00 pm NZST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool ... love those birds. they don't even look as if they can fly (kinda like bumble bees) :)

Thu Aug 24, 08:16:00 pm NZST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow Tina!!!!!
That is very intersting!!! Those birds look really cool:)

isabel r.

Fri Aug 25, 08:35:00 am NZST  
Blogger Christina said...

yah, they look prehistoric, don't they?

Fri Aug 25, 10:11:00 am NZST  
Blogger Penny said...

Love these guys.... they are kinda gormless birds but loveable somehow. You can see why they were hunted... easy to spear, and nice and plump ;)
They have such lovely colours.

Fri Aug 25, 10:26:00 am NZST  
Blogger Jenny said...

You are so lucky to have that many kereru in your garden! Enjoy them

Sun Aug 27, 08:10:00 pm NZST  

Post a Comment

<< Home