Tuesday, October 24, 2006

unreal.

As I type, mud and rocks are rushing down our street. There is a massive slip at Norma's. Her garage is full of mud and the water is just gushing down. It's unreal. And the bulk of it is going down into our neighbor's house.

It's nearly midnight and there are about 15 neighbours out there working hard; helping the 6 firemen. Trying to shovel the muck into wheelbarrows and build a barrier to guide the slip down the road instead of into our neighbour's house. It's coming down faster than it can possibly be shoveled though.

The sound of shovels scraping against pavement fills the night air. The stream in our neighbourhood sounds like Huka Falls. Unreal.

Jeremy is out there getting dirty using our only shovel. I tried to help but wasn't much use so came back inside.

I wish it was appropriate to go out and take photos. It is such a sight. The teamwork is inspiring. Teenagers through to pensioners. Everyone in gum boots, except my husband who seems to be the only Kiwi without them. Many with their Dry-As-A-Bone's on.


Also there is another slip at Sunshine Bay, the bay just past ours, making the only road to Days Bay and Eastbourne impassible. I was driving home at about 1030 tonight (I never ever go out, mind you!) and there were police at the bottom of my street forcing people to turn around to find accomodation for the night. I was able to turn up my road at least. I had to turn around once I get close to my house though.

Stefanie, I finally had a reason to go up Richmond. To park. Away from the mud.

Note to self: Crocs are not good for trudging through mudslides.

A further indication that the weather is insane... It took the ferry over 9.5 hours to cross Cook Strait. This is normally a 3-hour journey! There were 9-meter swells. The airport has been closed all day. Not a good day to be in Wellington.


ETA: The weather has cleared this morning thankfully. The slips were most likely caused by the logging from several months back. This morning Jeremy said to me, "I thought I'd come in and you'd have clean pants and a hot drink waiting for me. Instead you were there with your camera." To my credit after I took a few pics, I quickly got him dry clothes and a hot drink!

views of a slip

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

I read about the ferry crossing today... ugh! 9 hours of being sea sick - how awful!

Your poor neighbourhood :( Hope the clean up goes well and there isn't too much damage!

Wed Oct 25, 12:01:00 pm NZDT  
Blogger Sharon said...

Sounds messy and miserable. Great shots for a page though....

Thu Oct 26, 12:46:00 pm NZDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope clean up goes well. The weather is so strange isn't it.

Liked the photos.

Thinking of your BIL. Fingers crossed for you all.

Thu Oct 26, 09:46:00 pm NZDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how scary to watch the mud becoming an uncontrollable force of its own...poor norma, poor neighbors. what a great neighborhood (i already knew that)...people who pull together to help one another.

Fri Oct 27, 01:58:00 am NZDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how incredible i cany believe that was it like a mini mudslide on 1 street

Fri Oct 27, 09:46:00 am NZDT  
Blogger Christina said...

hi ellie! isn't it crazy?

thanks for always reading and commenting. it makes me think of all of you 6000 miles away and smile. i appreciate it. :)

say HI to your sisters and brothers.

Fri Oct 27, 04:40:00 pm NZDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Tina!!! Wow, what a day you had!!!! Crazy, too

Isabel

lymymi

Sat Oct 28, 09:39:00 am NZDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey tina, i'm glad you explored richmond but not glad about the reason you did it. i could see how that could happen from norma's back yard, i was slipping on mud when i hiked up there, but i remember reading in the herald about the damages to that sunshine bay house..hopefully norma's house wasn't damaged..? hope to talk to you soon. love ya, miss ya, mean it

Sat Oct 28, 05:20:00 pm NZDT  
Blogger Ali said...

Cracking up here (well I can seeing as I'm a Wellingtonian). How do you know one is hooked on Scrapping? .... when their poor hubby has to wait for his hot drink! Hey hope things are settling in your street, but then again, it's raining again!

Sun Oct 29, 10:57:00 am NZDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, we know a thing or two about cleaning up after a natural catastrophy, maybe we could give you a few pointers ;) It's been so long, we's love to see you and catch up! Any plans on visiting New Orleans? We'd love to come see you and explore NZ; it's sounds like you're becoming a native. What's your address so I can send you a 'I know what it means to miss New Orleans' care package? I'm glad that you're exploring your creative side- you're layouts look great. I've been very busy at work (lots of work for architects here) and at home with the baby. John's traveling with work now (he's somewhere in Southeast Asia on a boat and won't be home 'till Christmas). I'm glad that your brother-in-law's condition is slowly improving. Say Hi to Jeremy for me.
-Cindy Dubberley

Sun Nov 12, 02:50:00 pm NZDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home