Monday, February 19, 2007

picking blueberries

Never picked blueberries in my life until now. And I've done it twice in a matter of weeks.

picking blueberries mosaic

What four words would best describe this organic blueberry farm?

cool, delicious, random, & wow

It's about 45 minutes outside Wellington in a very out-of-the-way picturesque setting. Cool. Owned by an American family with a Mexican mother who comes out for the summer each year to cook authentic Mexican food in a little makeshift cafe. Delicious.

blueberry farm mosaic

For a country with a tiny Mexican population where Mexican food is very hard to come by, this is so random. Both times I went, the place was primarily populated by Americans jonesing for Mexican food. Go figure.

Oh and they have a swimming hole and the most delicious blueberry ice cream. Jeremy and I shared a giant American-style brownie with ice cream and blueberry sauce. Wow.

So Sunday I baked blueberry chocolate chip muffins for the freezer and my first ever blueberry pie.

baking with blueberries mosaic

"More Hausfrau" as Jeremy once said. I guess I'm nesting! Again, it's all about the food.

Only about an hour or so until I can have a piece of pie...

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, yummm to the nth degree...

Tue Feb 20, 03:48:00 am NZDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Tina!!!!! mmm...looks delish. LYMYMI.

Tue Feb 20, 05:27:00 am NZDT  
Blogger Penny said...

yum oh yum! good fun to do with kids too. :) if you freeze the berries you can have blue goodness all year!

Tue Feb 20, 12:44:00 pm NZDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christina, that muffin and blueberry pie looks just devine. My FIL has about 5 trees that have some fruit on them and i would love your recpies as i am sitting here druling as i type this. Sorry for the spelling.

Thu Feb 22, 07:38:00 am NZDT  
Blogger Ali said...

You crazy pregnant person you! That pie looks soooooooooo delicious ... hmmm. Glad I am back and have caught up with your tummy!

Mon Feb 26, 04:43:00 pm NZDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pie looks yumo! We went there last year and it is a awesome place to go. We had visitors from aussie at the time and they were most impressed.
Good to hear your keeping well.

Wed Feb 28, 06:56:00 pm NZDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh wish I had looked at your site first, we went there recently and had a ball. Molly, my daughter went in the watering hole beside the picking area and that just topped it all off....oh and the food there...mmmmmmmm I did get a great cake to make with all my blueberries so a very happy women. picked $45.00 worh LOL

Sat Mar 10, 09:06:00 pm NZDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home