Monday, June 25, 2007

a few bits of randomness

  • My parent's just got a new fridge. That wouldn't be very notable except that their old one was FORTY-NINE YEARS OLD. Seriously. It was a wedding present from my mom's uncle. At the time it was a top-of-the-line Westinghouse. Eventually it became both my mom's worst nightmare and a big family joke. Many times during their marriage, my mom secretly wished that my dad wasn't quite so good at fixing things!
  • The day after my parent's left, Quincy turned into alien baby. Gone was his content, pleasant nature. We feared this new Quincy was here to stay and we mourned the departure of angel baby. Well, yesterday our little peaceful guy returned. I think he was having a growth spurt. (I'd say the 1-2 hourly feeds seem to point in that direction!)
  • Speaking of growing, he is nearly out of newborn clothes and soon he'll be in his 0-3 stuff. It's going too fast.
  • Speaking of clothes, whoever thinks it is not as fun to dress a boy as a girl is seriously misguided. Unfortunately, boy clothing is every bit as tempting!
  • We've been having an incredible winter, at least until today. (We just got hammered with some hail.) Anyway the weekend was blue-sky perfect. On Saturday we went for a long walk by the river. The dogs were so well-behaved. No barking. Just lots of playing, running, and obeying. On Sunday we did a walk by the sea. There were so many people out enjoying the gorgeous weather. Some big exhausting runs were so needed. As much as I didn't want the baby to interfere with taking good care of the dogs, that's not really possible. There are only so many hours in a day afterall. I'm hoping that once the baby is in more of a routine and I'm feeling more on top of things (you experienced mothers are probably secretly laughing at my naivete right now!), a long walk will once again be a part of each day.
  • We are still awaiting Q's first real smile. Last week I thought he made eye contact with me and smiled, but as time passes I think that was just another of his automated smiles.
  • Jeremy has become OCD about the kitchen. I'm loving it. The other day he actually got on my case for leaving a couple dishes on the sink instead of putting them in the dishwasher. He said, "Come on, it's not that hard." I know! That's what I've been thinking and occasionally saying for years! Fatherhood is certainly agreeing with him.
  • Speaking of fatherhood, I got to spend Father's Day with my dad this year. What a treat! Plus by celebrating the US Father's Day, Jeremy gets two Father's Days this year. (The NZ Father's Day is in September.) Lucky him.
  • I just gave Q his first real bath, not counting his hospital bath and the top and tail sponge baths I've given him. He totally loved it--he didn't want to get out. So maybe he has inherited something from me other than his worry lines...a love of water. Let's hope!
  • And finally, a couple parting shots...

oma & mother & son (2 weeks) mother & son (5 weeks)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

My babies smiled properly at about 6 weeks which is the average so you are probably in that range now. It's so rewarding to see it after the first weeks which can be stressful. Well I found them so.

Seriously old fridge! LOL!
Hmmm.. my crockpot used to be my grandmas. It's probably that vintage.

Tue Jun 26, 05:07:00 pm NZST  

Post a Comment

<< Home